Founded in the 13th century by the Knights of the Teutonic Order, the town is noted for its medieval Malbork Castle, built in the 13th Century as the Order's headquarters in what later became known as East Prussia.
The town was built in Prussia around the fortress Ordensburg Marienburg which was founded in 1274 on the east bank of the river Nogat by the Teutonic Knights.
Wrocław is the historical capital of Silesia and Lower Silesia, today Wrocław is also the capital of the Lower Silesian Voivodeship.
At various times it has been part of the Kingdom of Poland, Bohemia, Hungary (1469-1490), the Austrian Empire, Prussia, and Germany; it became part of Poland again in 1945, as a result of the border changes after World War II. Its population in 2013 was 632,067, making it the fourth largest city in Poland. Wrocław is classified as a Global city by GaWC, with the ranking of high sufficiency.
The Wrocław Fountain - Wrocław Multimedia Fountain, — Polish: Wrocławska Fontanna, is a multimedia musical fountain and ornamental pond in Wrocław, of western Poland. Fountain runs from early May to late October.
The Wrocław Fountain is located in the historic Wrocław exhibition ground. It is next to the early modernist Centennial Hall, and encircled within the Wrocław Pergola.
Built in 2009, it is currently one of the largest operating fountains in Europe.
The Manufaktura opened on 17 May 2006, after 5 years of planning and the subsequent 4 years of construction. The total area of the complex is 27 hectares (67 acres). The work involved the renovation of an old factory building. The Manufaktura is located in the central part of the city, in the former industrial complex founded by Izrael Poznański, which is known also as the filming location of the novel by Władysław Reymont titled The Promised Land about the industrialization of the city of Łódź.
Łódź first appears in the written record in a 1332 document giving the village of Łodzia to the bishops of Włocławek. In 1423 King Władysław Jagiełło granted city rights to the village of Łódź. From then until the 18th century the town remained a small settlement on a trade route between Masovia and Silesia. In the 16th century the town had fewer than 800 inhabitants, mostly working on the nearby grain farms.