Built in 1642, at the request of King Władysław IV of the Order of Piarists. After being burning down by the Swedes, it was rebuilt in the Baroque style. After the November Uprising the church was renamed the Orthodox Church, and its Baroque décor was removed from the interior, and on its towers (which had been covered with characteristic domes), bells cast from cannons were hung. Their sound was intended to suppress all patriotic sentiment. After Poland regained independence, the church was transferred to the ownership of the army. Since 1920, the church has served as a garrison church, and from 1991, it has been the headquarters of the Military Department of the Polish Army.
The largest Warsaw palace, its construction commissioned in 1643. From 1994 it served as the offcial home of the Polish President. It was the residence of Lech Wałęsa, Aleksander Kwaśniewski and Lech Kaczyński. The Palace is fronted by the monument to prince Józef Poniatowski by Bertel Thorvaldsen.
Completed in the 17th century, the church’s form underwent many changes over the centuries. The church is steeped in Poland’s turbulent history. It was destroyed during the Swedish Deluge in 1655. It was here that King Jan III Sobieski entrusted himself and his homeland to God before his military campaign against the Turks in Vienna, in 1683. The church should not go unnoticed by any ‘Chopin afcionado’, as the church is the resting place of the heart of Chopin as well as that of Władyslaw Reymont, Polish Nobel-winning novelist. The church also contains memorial epitaphs of other renowned Poles such as Boleslaw Prus, Józef Ignacy Kraszewski, Juliusz Słowacki and Władysław Sikorski.
Built in the 18th century for Jan Klemens Branicki, Crown of Hetman. Until 1949, the owner of the palace was Franciszek Salezy Potocki, from whom the Polish communist government took the property under the decree of 1945. After the war, the palace was rebuilt and allocated to be one of the headquarters of the City of Warsaw. The palace will soon be returned to Potocki's heirs.
Completed in 1955 as a ‘gift from the Soviet people’, the building is the embodiment of Socialist Realist architecture. It is still the tallest building in Poland and fulfils the role of a cultural centre accommodating theatres, museums, a cinema and a concert hall. The highest viewing platform in Warsaw, on the 30th foor, offers an excellent panoramic view of the city.